Park Foreman/City Forester
1100 N. Jefferson Street
P: 608-647-8108 ex. 2
Any group or organization wishing to serve and consume alcoholic beverages in the Park must obtain a RC Park Permit to Serve Alcohol. This permit can be obtained at the Community Center/Parks & Grounds Office. There is no cost for this permit. Hours for these permits are 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday, or by an appointment.
Krouskop Park is the largest of the city parks spanning 37.5 acres. As of 2012, the park is home to the new Community & Senior Center that is available for reservations. The park is equipped with seven reservable shelters, two with enclosed restrooms, and has handicap accessible picnic tables. It has two lighted softball fields, three lighted tennis courts, two sand volleyball courts, one basketball court, an 18-Hole frisbee golf course, a soccer & football field, two Gazebos, horseshoe pits, a variety of playground equipment for all ages and vast open areas for picnicking or events. Upon availability and for an additional fee, ball fields may be reserved up to two weeks in advance. Picnic Kits & Volleyball kits are available for rent. The Pine River dike provides a paved, handicapped accessible, multi-use recreational path through the park extending more than two miles through the community that hooks up to the Pine River Recreation Trail, where you can walk, ride or snowmobile approximately 15 miles to Lone Rock on an old railroad bed. The Pine River borders the park & has several canoe access ports, as well as fishing spots. Take a walk along the river on the moved trails that border each side, through the prairie grasses. It’s a nature lover’s delight! Take a dip in the outdoor pool facility, that houses a diving, lap & kiddie pool. Daily & summer passes are available for purchase. In the winter months, the Dr. Meyer shelter serves as a warming house beside the outdoor ice rink & full-size hockey rink. Snowshoes & Poles are available for rent. Krouskop Park is also home to several large events, including RC Thunderfest Independence Day Celebration, the annual Walk With GRACE & Rotary Lights.
North Park is the 2nd largest of the city parks spanning 12.5 acres on the north side of the Pine River. The park is equipped with two reservable shelters (one has a concession stand), port-a-potties, and has handicap accessible picnic tables. It has one softball diamond, one baseball diamond (both are lighted), five soccer fields (two are lighted) & a variety of playground equipment for all ages. There are vast open spaces available for large family gatherings or weddings. The local churches old an annual worship service in the park. There is a walk-bridge that links to Krouskop Park and all of its amenities. Upon availability and for an additional fee, Softball & Soccer fields may be reserved up to two weeks in advance. Picnic Kits are available for rent.
North Park -West is equipped with two softball diamonds and a soccer field and is accessible from the grassy drive at the end of the North Park parking lot.
North Park Pond is nestled on 3.5 acres and is a drainage reservoir for the Pike River dike, and is stocked with a variety of pan fish. The Youth Fishing Derby is held here annually. Recent additions to the lake include the handicapped accessible shelter & parking area in 2004 and aerators & fountains in 2005. The shelter is equipped with water and electric, and has a port-a-pottie for your convenience. The park is located off Highway 80 north at the entrance to Allison Park. A 10 foot eagle was carved out of an old elm tree at the entrance of the park.
Our National Mascot proudly stands watch over our community parks from where it is perched. It was cut and carved out of an old elm tree into a breathtaking ten foot eagle at the entrance to the pond, in memory of Lieutenant Colonel William W. Hall. David Bartz was instrumental in spearheading the project and it was made possible by the many donations made by members of our community. Carving was done by Zoli’s Woodcarving out of Monroe, WI.
Strickland Park is nestled in a small east side neighborhood on .3 acres, near the Richland Hospital & Medical Center. There is playground equipment and scenic open picnic areas for your enjoyment. The park is ADA accessible. The park is located at the base of Miner Hill Trails with a steep entry. Strickland Park does not take reservations.
Miner Hill Trails Park has walking & hiking trails that encompass 50 acres of scenic wonder revealed along a trail that wanders past five overlooks, through woods and open meadows, and past an old quarry site, to the top of a bluff with a panoramic view of the city and countryside spreading out in the valley below. All trail overlooks are railed. The trails are complete with signs & areas for picnicking. There are six trails to choose from, ranging from 1/5 mile to 4/5 mile distances. Strickland Trail (1/5 mile) begins at the base of Strickland Park, with parking & playground equipment. You can also park & connect with Tower Drive Trail if you follow Court Street East. Here and there along the way, hikers will find resting and picnic spots for a leisurely pause on the trail. Miner Hill Trails Park does not take reservations.
West Side Park is nestled in a housing area on 3 acres, located on the west bank of the Pine River, near the entrance of the historic Maple Side Walking Bridge. The footbridge provides west side residents with easy access to downtown. The park is home to the Rotary Gardens. There is playground equipment and scenic open picnic areas for your enjoyment. The park is ADA accessible. There is access to the Pine River trails as well. West Side Park does not take reservations.
A large perennial flower garden with benches, trails and trellis.
Constructed in 1912 by Otto Klinzing. Funded by Charles Parfrey, F.O. Smith & Grant Miner. Most of the bridge was swept away in the flood of 1951. It was rebuilt by the city in 1954. Some of the original lumber and pilings are still in place.
Petite Roche Prairie/Mill Pond
A 37 acre prairie restoration project was started in 2003 in the drained lake bed next to the Pine River. Half of the 37 acres on the south side was randomly planted with a variety of native prairie flowers. A wildlife Wetland Scrape has been added to the north part of the lake bed, with enhanced wildlife watching areas. Walking trails run along the Pine River and an additional nine holes were added to the frisbee golf course throughout the prairie.
Wedgewood Park was developed in the summer of 2004 and encompasses 30 acres. It is divided into two parks, Wedgewood North & Wedgewood South. This land is adjacent to the Pine River and has about 2 miles of hiking trails, fishing areas, picnic shelter and tables, benches, signage maps and a parking lot. A large sitting area with a perennial bed, adjacent to a senior housing complex had been completed.
The Arboretum was established in 2003 with matching funds from an Urban Forest DNR Grant. At that time, 134 trees of 71 different species were planted. Since then, the Arboretum has been expanded to include 200 trees and over 100 shrubs. It is designed for self-guided tours 7 days a week. Each tree is labeled with a brief explanation. The Arboretum is located off Highway 14 near the City’s Waste Water Treatment plant next to the Pine River.
The gardens are composed of low maintenance plants including hostas, iris, tree peonies, poppies, tulips, daffodils and day lilies, creating a long blooming season. This was created to be a botany garden of the highest aesthetic value, including two water features. Interpretive signage is included to educate visitors on the natural and Native American culture of the area.
Old Mill Pond Park
The park is 3.5 acres at the site of the original Community Center. A picnic shelter, playground equipment, community gardens and horseshoe pits are in the proposed plans. The Pine River is accessible for fishing and canoe launch. Parking is available.
The Carl Chellevold shelter is located in Lions Park just off Highway 80, near Industrial Park Road. There is a sand volleyball court, horseshoe pits and a port-a-potty available. It borders the Pine River and has a canoe port, number two of five, if starting at Bowen’s Mill. The shelter is equipped with electric, but does not have water. Future plans are to have playground equipment for the kids.
Please call (608)647-8108 for additional information. Office hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Our office is located in the Community Center at 1050 North Orange Street, Richland Center, WI 53581.