Building Safety / Zoning
Building Inspection services are contracted with Johnson Inspection LLC
Tracy M. Johnson
P.O. Box 127
Arena, WI 53503
Office: 608-647-5364 (leave a message)
Permits: grading, erosion, building inspections, building permit application (by State Law, the Building Inspector has 10 Days to approve a building permit application. Early Start may also be considered.
Commercial Buildings: Upon review by the State, Planning and City Council, the Building Inspector will review the plans and issue permits. A Zoning Permit may be necessary as well that would be issued by the Zoning Inspector.
The Building Permit Process:
Residential and Commercial Building Permits are isued by Johnson Inspection, LLC.
Residential Zoning Permits are issued by Johnson Inspection, LLC
Commercial Zoning Permits are issued by the City Zoning Administrator.
- HOW TO CONTACT THE INSPECTOR:
- Call 608-444-0372
- All calls will be returned when the Inspector is notified of the message
- Hours Monday-Friday from 7:00 AM – 5:00 AM
PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- All new 1 and 2 family homes and decks
- Additions that increase the physical dimensions of a building
- Alterations to the building structure
- Alterations to the building’s heating, electrical or plumbing systems
- All electrical wiring (new or remodeling)
- All HVAC (new or remodeling)
- All plumbing (new or remodeling)
- Commercial buildings
- Accessory structures & Fences
- Miscellaneous Replacements: Furnaces, Water heaters, Electrical Panels and water softeners
PERMITS ARE NOT REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Finishing interior surfaces
- Installation of cabinetry
- Repairs deemed minor by Building Inspector
- Normal repairs to HVAC and plumbing
- Repairs to electrical equipment or systems (e.g. switches, receptacles or fixtures)
- Re roofing, unless a third layer of roofing material is added.
- Siding and window replacements
If uncertain, call the building inspector.
TO OBTAIN AN APPLICATION:
- Call the building inspector at (608) 444-0372 to have applications mailed or arrange to pick up applications at the City Hall at 450 South Main Street.
- Please see the attached list of information required to obtain building permits.
- Fees are determined by City Contract.
RETURNING COMPLETED APPLICATIONS/SUBMITTING PLANS:
- Applications may be mailed to: Johnson Inspection, LLC, PO Box 127, Arena, WI 53503
- Applications can be emailed to Building Inspector: Johnsoninspection@gmail.com
INSPECTIONS ARE REQUIRED PRIOR TO CONCEALING WORK!
Call for inspections at (608) 444-0372
- On new homes a minimum of seven inspections are made as the house construction proceeds along
- Other residential projects may be inspected by the City Building Inspector – additions, remodels, are also inspected. Call if you have a question.
- Commercial projects will have inspections by Tracy Johnson of Johnson Inspection, LLC and an occupancy inspection by the Fire Inspector.
ITEMS NEEDED TO ISSUE BUILDING PERMITS FOR:
1. 2 sets of building plans drawn to scale with elevations
2. 2 plot plans of the land (showing elevations, distances to lot lines and building sizes)
3. 1 copy of Thermal performance Sheets (heat loss calculations) Res Check Software also accepted
4. Applications to be filled out: Uniform Building Permit
5. 2 copies of erosion Control Plan shown on a plot plan
ADDITIONS REMODELS: & ACCESSORY STRUCTURES:
1. 2 sets of building plans
2. 2 copies of plot plans of the land (showing elevations, distance to lot lines, & building sizes)
3. Applications to be filled out: Uniform Building Permit.
4. 2 copies of erosion Control Plan shown on plot plan for additions only
1. 2 sets State approved building plans and specifications as needed per COMM 60.12
2. 2 copies of plot plan of the property showing all buildings located on it to scale
3. Applications to be filled out: Uniform Building Permit
Before you begin your project, you will be required to have the zoning of your property checked. Mr. Johnson can assist for residential properties and for commercial interior remodeling.
An additional Zoning Permit is required from the City Clerk’s Office for new buildings or additions to commercial, multi family or industrial buildings. These projects will require additional procedures. Please see me in the Clerk’s Office located at 450 S. Main Street or call 608-647-3466. The City wants to work with you to make your project a success for both you and the entire community.
City Ordinances: – Also see the Ordinance page.
Chap 329 Nuisances-Public Health
Chap 390 DEMOLITION SITES AND DAMAGED BUILDINGS 1987
Ord. Chapter 400 Zoning:
Chap 400a – Sec 400.01 thru .03 thru 1-31-15
Chap 400b – Sec 400.04 thru 1-31-15
Chap 400c – Sec 400.05 to .13 thru 1-31-15
Chap 401 – R-A Residential-Agricultural District thru 1-31-15
Chap 402 – R-1 Single Family Residential District thru 1-31-15
Chap 403 – R-2 One-Two Family Residential thru 1-31-15
Chap 404 – R 3-4 Family Residential thru 1-31-15
Chap 405 – R-5 Multi Family Residentia thru 1-31-15
Chap 406 – R-O Residential-Office thru 1-31-15
Chap 407 – C General Business District thru 1-31-15
Chap 408 – C-DT Central Downtown District thru 1-31-15
Chap 409 – IND Industrial District thru 1-31-15
Chap 410 – I-P Industrial Park District thru 1-31-15
Chap 426 SOIL EROSION AND SEDIMENT CONTROL 1978
Chap 455 FIRE PREVENTION 2012
Chap 485 SIGNS – 1-31-2012